Google announced on Friday that it will not comply with the White House’s request to remove the anti-Mohammed video from its YouTube site.
Google said it had already determined that the video did not violate its terms of service regarding hate speech, because it was against the Muslim religion but not Muslim people.
The company also said Friday that it had blocked access to the video in India and Indonesia because it violated local laws.
These actions came after Google temporarily blocked the video on Wednesday in Egypt and Libya of its own volition — not because it violated laws or YouTube’s terms of service — an extraordinary measure that it said it took in response to the delicacy of the situation. The video is accessible in the rest of the world, even as protests spread to nearly 20 countries, from North Africa to Indonesia. New York Times