Here are some interesting statistics from the Sam Adams Alliance that provide a glimpse into the juggernaut phenomenon known as the Tea Party Movement. Respondents in this survey were asked a variety of questions concerning their participation. Here is a brief summary:
- 47% of activists surveyed said that they were uninvolved or rarely involved in politics before their participation in Tea Party groups.
- 92% of those surveyed stated that the most important issue for them was budget; 85% stated economy; and 80% said defense.
- 86% OPPOSE the formation of a Third Party.
- 90% cited To Stand Up For My Beliefs when characterizing their initial reason for involvement in the Tea Party movement.
- 62% identified as Republicans, 28% as Independents, 10% as Tea Party.
And what I found significant was that NONE of the respondents in this survey listed Social Issues as an important direction for the movement.
There is a place at this conservative table for lesbians and gays and it’s time we all pulled up a chair and joined the rest of the family.