Why We Lost the Election: It’s the Culture, Stupid!

AutopsyAs the after-defeat bumbling of the incompetent Republican clowns claiming to be our leaders continues apace, I offer up this piece of political observation by Laura Hollis which appeared on the Townhall website two days post election disaster.

For the most part, I am in agreement with Ms. Hollis’ post-mortem but I find it almost frightening that conservatives are only getting the current lay of America’s cultural land at this point in our history.  And while her analysis is pretty much on target, note that there is not even one suggestion concerning goals, strategies, or tactics to move us forward.

1. We are Outnumbered.  We accurately foresaw the enthusiasm, the passion, the commitment, the determination, and the turnout.  It wasn’t enough….there are legitimately fewer Americans who desire a free republic with a free people than there are those who think the government should give them stuff.

2. It wasn’t the Candidate(s).  No matter what tactic you could point to that Romney could have done better, it would have been spun in a way that was detrimental to his chances.  No matter who we ran this year, they would have lost.

3. It’s the Culture, Stupid.  We have been trying to fight this battle every four years at the voting booth. It is long past time we admit that is not where the battle really is. We abdicated control of the culture – starting back in the 1960s. And now our largest primary social institutions – education, the media, Hollywood (entertainment) have become really nothing more than an assembly line for cranking out reliable little Leftists.  We are reaping what we have sown.

4. America has become a Nation of Adolescents.  The real loser in this election was adulthood: Maturity and Responsibility. The understanding that liberty must be accompanied by self-restraint.

5. Yes, there is a Vagina Vote.  Suffice it to say that the only “war on women” was the one waged by the Obama campaign, which sexualized and objectified women.   For a significant number of women, this was appealing.

6. It’s not about Giving Up on Social Issues.  We do not hold the values we do because they garner votes.  We hold the values we do because we believe that they are time-tested principles without which a civilized, free and prosperous society is not possible.

7. Obama doesn’t have a Mandate, but he doesn’t need one.  I have to laugh – bitterly – when I read conservative pundits trying to assure us that Obama “has to know” that he does not have a mandate, and so he will have to govern from the middle.  Obama does not care that he does not have a mandate. He views himself as having been re-elected to complete the “fundamental transformation” of America, the basic structure of which he despises.

8. The Corrupt Media is the Enemy.  I have been watching the media try to throw elections since at least the early 1990s.  We saw the media cravenly cover up for the incompetence and deceit of this President, while demonizing a good, honorable and decent man with lies and smears.  Republicans, Libertarians and other conservatives need to be prepared to play hardball with the Pravda press from here on out.

9. Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs will Hurt the Worse.  Obama’s statist agenda will unquestionably benefit the biggest corporations.  It will be the small business, the entrepreneur, and the first-time innovators who will be crushed by their inability to compete on a level playing field.

10. America is More Polarized than ever and this time it’s Personal.  I’ve been following politics for a long time, and it feels different this time. Not just for me. I’ve received messages from other conservatives who are saying the same thing: there is little to no tolerance left out there for those who are bringing this country to its knees – even when they have been our friends.

11. America just has to Hit Rock Bottom.  I truly believe that most Americans who voted for Obama have no idea what they are in for. Most simply believe him when he says that all he really wants is for the rich to pay “a little bit more.” So reasonable! Who could argue with that except a greedy racist?  What that means, I fear, is that they will not see what is coming until the whole thing collapses.

All of the above is so very well and good but to simply state what the causes of the problem may be is not in and of itself an actual solution.  Duh!  And that obvious bit of commonsense seems to be lost on conservative talking heads and the idiotic political hacks running things in the Republican party.

Yep, the media is stacked against us.  Yep, the universities indoctrinate students with Left-wing nonsense.  Yep, too many people are looking for a handout.  Yep, we get it.  Well, at least some of us get it.  But the query that continues to go unasked, let alone actually answered is: Where do we go from here?

What is the bloody game plan?  If the media is the enemy, how will we strike off the hoary heads of this corrupt hydra and cripple its ability to control the entertainment industry, the publishing world, the news outlets?  If the battle isn’t in the voting booth but rather in the minds of the voting population than how do we dismantle the educational propaganda machine that holds sway over the mental and emotional attitudes of our children and young adults?

In other words, what the hell are the goals, the strategies, and the tactics for winning this cultural war and who the hell will be at the helm keeping us dead set on course?  Any takers?  Anyone???

Thanks to Michael for bringing Ms. Hollis’ article to my attention.

About these ads

This entry was posted in Political/Social and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Why We Lost the Election: It’s the Culture, Stupid!

1. veryopinionated25 says:

I know of a few Conservative organizations (i also am a member of) that could help things along.
    1: The Heriatage Foundation 2: Judical Watch (they sue the federal government for lots of things) and 3: NAGR = National Association for Gun Rights. Not sure if these would help, but i just thought that i should throw these out there.

And maybe we should create an conservative organization for our youth and educate them how to fight back against the masses. Just a thought.

2. Cathy Smith says:

As a member of the educational community, I do not tell my 8th graders about my political affiliation. If they did know, it would only serve to alienate half of them whose parents fall on the other side of the fence. I explain to my students how vital it is for them to register to vote at age 18 and that they need to do their homework on all candidates prior to casting their votes. I also explain the importance of looking at both sides of an issue in order to gain the best perspective. If they’ve heard it once, they’ve heard me say a hundred times, “Know before you vote!” I want my students to recognize the value of being American and that they hold the future of this nation in their hands. They are taught repeatedly in my class that having respect for others’ opinions is the only option open to them if they want to be heard. We discuss racial issues, social concerns, political topics, and any other topic in a safe, comfortable environment, looking at all sides of these issues. We discuss the Constitution in depth, paying particular attention to the Bill of Rights. We look at what could happen if those rights are abridged or removed entirely. That’s the propaganda I spread in my classroom. It’s a shame other adults don’t follow the same course of action. Perhaps if they did, they would be contributing to a new populace which would do a much better job of running this country than my generation has.

• veryopinionated25 says:

Wow.. i am surprised that you can still teach like that now these days. Cathy Smith, thanks for helping our future generation by teaching them to know the facts instead of the bullcrap that the leftists teachers try to push down or kids throats all of the time. We need more teachers like you:)

• Kevin says:

@Kathy, you sound like a wonderful teacher. I would suggest however, that you compare today to what the Founders faced and overcame in birthing this nation. They lived through tyranny and oppression. The Bill Of Rights and the Constitution were what they came up with in an effort to make sure it didn’t happen here. When those incredibly brilliant documents are ignored, as they have been on so many occasions by past and current administrations, this is what we get. I would also tell them it’s our fault for being asleep for so long. I just hope and pray it’s not too late for us. Again, I congratulate you for being the kind of teacher that kids of this country need.

• Cathy Smith says:

Thank you, Kevin.  Don’t worry.  My students hear so much about the Constitution in my class, I’m sure I sound like Charlie Brown’s teacher to them!  LOL!    One of the biggest surprises I received in my class happened several years ago.   We were standing to say the pledge and one of my students refused to do so.  (Most teachers at my school don’t force their students to recite it.  I do because, damn it, I teach history and it is important!) When I told him he WOULD stand up and recite the pledge, he said, “I don’t pledge allegiance to George W. Bush!”  It had never occurred to me that my students would equate the flag and it’s pledge to any one person.  So began my big lesson on the flag, it’s history, who and what it represents, etc.   I even show them the YouTube video in which Red Skelton is talking about one of his teachers explaining the pledge.  Naturally, none of my students have ever heard of Skelton!  I am getting too old for this!  Ha.   I do my best to instill a sense of patriotism into my students, but it is very difficult.  They receive no instruction at home about the importance of country, military, freedom, etc.  It’s hard for me to do in ten months what their parents have failed to do in a lifetime.     Just keep me and all teachers (especially those teaching history) in your prayers.  Maybe, just maybe, some of what we teach will reach some of these kids before they hit voting age!

________________________________

3. What they have that we don’t is determination and organization. We work for a living in most cases so we are already overloaded with “things that need to be done” especially those of us with families to care for as well. What they have done since the 60′s is perfect Saul Alinsky and his methods and Obama is a master at it, Saul’s own son identified that for us. But the truth is I am mortified that so many of my fellow American’s now fall into the category of being communist or Marxist despite knowledge that the theory has never worked for any country and that any that tried it ended up with millions dead.

Yes we let things happen, part of it because of our faith in God, and although this can’t be found anywhere in scripture, God won’t do everything for us either, nor should he. He expects us to stand tall for what is right and fight what is not right. The Bible is full of such battles including some that took the lives of entire populations.

When I was a teenager I watched Kruschev as a child claim that Russia would occupy us without firing a shot, yes I know there are people that say it never happened, but I saw him at the UN pounding his shoe on the table as he made the declaration. We have allowed people who claim to be authorities change our history. They control our schools and the minds of our children.

We need to use Saul Alinsky’s theories against them, learn them and learn to stand them off when they use them on us. No one likes being called names and that is how they have won over the years. They silence us by calling us Bigots, Racist, etc. We back off because we don’t want people thinking ill of us. Well folks this is war and in war you hand out as much as you get, and frankly I never once liked anything about the Politically Correct movement, or the Multi-culture Movement because both cut into our freedoms big time. Don’t let others tell you what you can say, because until further notice this is still a free country.

• I couldn’t agree with you more. But I don’t think we have to quit our jobs or turn our backs on our families in order to find the time to create culture, reinforce conservative values, and take political action.

Having spent years moving in a Lefty sub-culture that eventually became mainstream, I can attest to the political dynamism of a thriving sub-culture. Lefties weren’t and aren’t all single and jobless–they too have to earn a living and raise their kids. But some of the ways they earn their living are through non-profit organizations and government jobs. They often make their choice of career and employer fit their social values. They actively socialize using the ties they’ve forged through semi-political events all of which reinforce their values. They attend demonstrations as they would attend a movie. They connect with like-minded individuals in their kids’ schools and form special parent/teacher connections that are semi-social. They use their churches in the same way. Food co-opts are more than just a way to provide organic locally grown produce–they also serve as a cultural and political entity bringing like-minded liberals together.

There are a zillion Lefty groups out there, all focused on one cultural/political issue or another. Some of these groups are incorporated as non-profits but many are not. These groups provide social and recreational connections for individuals and families while at the same time serving to forge ties with other similar groups.

Local conservative cultural communities are few and far between that combine the personal (social and recreational ties) with the political. And it’s that kind of blur between the two that makes it much easier to be politically active and have an impact with the least amount of time and effort.

• Cathy Smith says:

You are right about Kruschev’s comments. My father drilled Kruschev’s statements into us as children so that we would be prepared to recognize the problem when it finally appeared. Kruschev said we would destroy America from within. That man was a modern-era Nostradamus! Now, it is coming true and so many people are just sitting back, shaking their heads, and saying, “What a mess,” instead of saying, “Here’s what we’re going to do and we’re going to do it NOW!” Unfortunately, society has ensured that we’d be too worn out to fight. Working, trying to make ends meet, worrying about the future, jobs going by the wayside, prices going up, taxes increasing, the Left ranting and raving at us constantly, all this stress has led to apathy. Trust me when I say that we are all going to have to pull from deep down inside and charge forth and start making a difference. When folks want to argue politics, tell them to start fixing the problem instead of wasting their breath arguing. When people say, “What if …,” say to them “I don’t argue the what-ifs!” Stop worrying about their opinions of you. When they claim you are misguided and uneducated, laugh. You don’t answer to them. They don’t pay your bills. We have to be able to look ourselves in the mirror each day and know that we fought the good fight. No one will ever know how difficult it was for me to grant the NY Times an interview about my sexuality and political affiliation, but I had to ask myself, “If not me, then who?” So now I ask all of us, “If not us, then who?”

• Well, thank you Cathy for being one willing to stand up. On a grander scale who will the one to stand up and “get things started” to help this country form this miserable fraud in the white house.

This is not “politics as usual” any longer. If we don’t do something soon, we may never be able to come back from destruction.

If people would Marx’s “10 Pilliars fo the Communist Manifesto” and the Cloward & Piven strategy they would recognize (I would hope) that these are being implemented in this country right and we’re further along than most realize.

God help us.

4. Tropical Gal says:

Ms. Hollis definitely hit the nail on the head with just about all her points.

-During the debates we really got to see the “Teenager-in-Chief” display his immaturity as he acted like an indignant teenager.
    -I personally have lost friends over our political differences, and am no longer willing expend any energy on folks who want so badly to take from me as well as ruin the country I love so much.
    -Yes, this feels very, very different. Frankly I worry about my safety because I am so outspoken. I will not let that deter me, but I do think about it often.
    -And while I’m far from being a prude, I find the popular culture to be pretty disgusting and immature, though I have tried to attribute that to my being “older” (40 lol). Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing at all wrong with being a “big kid’ as long as you can discern when it is time to actually be an adult!

So many of us are looking for a plan to get behind, but so far I haven’t seen/heard one I can truly support. There is too much at risk to just go off half-cocked. I pray someone smarter than I comes up with a plan that I can support wholeheartedly…and soon!

• Yep, you’re right. We’re all looking for a plan to get behind. But I think we’ll be waiting in vain if we’re looking for any change for the better coming from our current crop of thought leaders.

We’re all out here on our own with little to no support. When one particular ideology has laid claim to all the cultural outlets, then anyone who doesn’t march to the same political tune is on the fringe, mocked, marginalized, and isolated. The only way to change that game is to aggressively go after each and every cultural outlet, with media and education at the top of the priority list.

The Left has already shown us the way, the role models already exist. But conservatives have been too rigid, too reluctant, and too high-minded to adopt the strategies and tactics that have been so successful. Here’s a couple of my devious ideas:

1. Use the judiciary to push the agenda. In other words, use the court systems to legally harass and harangue every institution and individual that steps on our toes. We don’t need to win court cases in order to win battles–we wear down the enemy with one lawsuit after another. Sound familiar? Every conservative out there should be able to find legal support within our community. So where is our version of the ACLU?

2. The Left supports their activist organizations with government and corporate grants. We need to do the same. We need to use taxpayer money to fund our non-profit activist organizations. There is a gigantic money trough out there despite the deficit and despite the fiscal cliff and we need to push our snouts into that federal funds pig-out. Yep, a violation of our sacred conservative principles—but it’s our money too and if we continue the way we have been, there won’t be many voters left who will give a damn about those untarnished untouchable ideals of ours.

3. Instead of using donations from corporate entities to fight social issues as conservatives have done almost exclusively, how about getting corporations to sponsor and support such agendas as: free speech initiatives on campus, fair-reporting in the news media, grade school and high school US Constitution celebrations, judicial and legal support for individuals and groups whose constitutional rights have been violated. We could create a whole score of non-profit groups whose missions focus on various cultural aspects and we can get companies to financially support those missions.

4. Create strong ties with conservative college students. Provide money, training, and any other assistance to help organize students on campus and support conservative events/initiatives. How do we think all those Left-wing college radical groups of the 60s and 70s came into existence? They had outside help.

I could go on and on, but my response has already turned into another post. Sorry. But I think the point I wanted to make is that it only takes a handful of ordinary people to come together to create one little group/organization and focus on one little slice of the cultural pie. There is funding out there, there is money out there. Look at all the non-profit Left-wing groups paying out 6 figure salaries to their execs while pimping Left-wing ideals to the masses. We can beat these people at their own game. We don’t need to wait for leadership–we can simply provide it ourselves.